FAQ: Property Fraud Alert
Property Fraud Alert
Questions? Contact PropertyFraudAlerts@mypalmbeachclerk.com or (561) 355-2991.
Why do fraudulent documents get recorded?
The Clerk must record all documents that meet the requirements outlined in the Florida Statutes. If a document is properly executed and presented with payment, it is the responsibility of the Clerk's office to record the document.
What is Property Fraud Alert?
Property Fraud Alert is a free service offered by the Clerk & Comptroller, Palm Beach County, that helps the public protect their property from fraud by monitoring the documents being recorded in the Official Records of the Clerk's office.
How does this monitoring system work?
- Sign up for this free subscription service either online at http://pfa.fidlar.com/FLPalmbeach/ or by calling 800-728-3858
- Enter the personal or business name to monitor
- Provide the email address or telephone number you would like alerts sent to
- Monitor additional names by repeating the process
- You will receive an alert within 48 business hours whenever any document is recorded in Palm Beach County matching the name(s) you chose to monitor
- This alert allows you to be informed of any recording activity taking place and to take timely action if you determine the activity is fraudulent
Can I sign up even if I don't own property in Palm Beach County?
Yes, in the event a document is recorded with the name you chose to monitor, you will receive an alert.
Does this service alert me of documents being recorded in other counties?
No, this service only alerts subscribers of documents being recorded in the Palm Beach County Official Records.
If I have a common name, what will distinguish my alerts from another person’s?
There is nothing that will distinguish one name from another. Therefore, a person with a common name, like Jim Jones, may receive alerts for documents recorded with the same name. View the document using our online Official Records search to determine if the recorded document is relevant to you or your property.
Can I include a middle name when entering a name to be monitored?
Yes, you can add a middle name after the first name in the same field. If you choose to do this, it is highly recommended that you also enter your name without the middle name.
How are people committing fraud in this way?
Fraud can be committed in a number of ways by recording documents in public records. For example, someone can create a fraudulent document that will deed your home to them and then record that document in the Official Records.
How can I sign up for this service?
Signing up is quick and easy! Simply follow these steps:
- Go to http://pfa.fidlar.com/FLPalmbeach/ or call 800-728-3858
- Click ‘Continue’ to begin the registration process
- Choose whether you would like to monitor a person’s name or a business name
- Enter the name you would like to monitor
- Enter either an email address or telephone number you would like the alerts sent to
You may repeat the process to monitor additional names. If you entered an email address, you will receive a confirmation message.
What documents do I need to gather before signing up for this service?
The only information you need to provide is your first and last name along with your email address or phone number, depending on your preferred contact method. Nothing else is needed when signing up for the service.
Is any special hardware or software needed to sign up online?
No, simply register online using your internet browser or call 800-728-3858 to register by phone. All features of the Property Fraud Alert website have been verified to work with the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer – version 9 or greater
- Chrome – all versions
- Firefox – all versions
I received an alert - now what? How can I view the document?
The alert email will provide you with a document number, which is the Clerk's File Number or CFN. To view the document, search the online Official Records at http://www.mypalmbeachclerk.com/officialrecords. Review the legal disclaimer, and click on "Accept" at the bottom. Then choose the CFN tab at the top. Enter the document number from your Property Fraud Alert and click search.
For assistance, please contact the Clerk & Comptroller’s Recording Department at (561) 355-2991 or PropertyFraudAlerts@mypalmbeachclerk.com.
If you suspect you are a victim of fraud, contact law enforcement.
How do I change or cancel my Property Fraud Alert subscription?
To change or cancel your Property Fraud Alert subscription, please call 1-800-728-3858.